Wednesday, February 1, 2012

iPad Is Crushed, But I'm Still Alive

This is my sad face

Sunday I preached about Greed. It was a sermon that had a real impact on my life, and I felt like the Lord wanted me to share it. So... I did. In it I gave the illustration below about my iPad.



It was a Sunday afternoon like any other. I was over at my dad's house (Pastor Trey) getting ready to indulge in an excellent meal prepared by my mother. I was asked by someone if they could use my iPad. At the risk of seeming like I preach one thing and do another, I said, "Sure." Everyone had fun playing around with it, but the time came for me to go home. I collected my children, iPad, and random other items. After much coxing we walked out the front door.

It had been a weird day. Maggie seemed to be a bit emotionally unstable, Quentin was about to fall asleep on my shoulder, and my arms were full of stuff. When putting Quentin into his carseat I must have set my iPad on top of my car. I never realized it. We drove off.

Once home I was going to do my normal iPadding, but I couldn't find it anywhere. PANIC! I realized at that moment that I had left it somewhere, but I didn't know where. I called over to my parents house to see if it was there. They searched to no avail. HORROR! Immediately I bolted downstairs, jumped in my car, and with all vigor sped off Daniel Island. My eyes were searching for any sign of my ten inch ipad.


Finally I saw it. It was laying in the middle of the road where Hungryneck Blvd. and the Isle of Palms Connector cross. To the frustration of all the drivers behind me I stopped in the middle of the road. Flayling my arms with wild gesticulation I stopped traffic hoping to save my iPad. As I picked it up, still standing in the middle of the road, I prayed a fervent, but incomplete prayer, "Oh, dear Lord..." Then I thought, "Maybe, maybe, maybe... Oh no." The screen looked as if a small bomb had exploded inside the iPad. I was devastated.

At that moment I remembered these verses from Matthew 6:19-21 (And I'm not telling a preacher story, I actually thought about these verses. I mean, I hope I would have... I just preached on them that day.) Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.


Moments after picking it up off the road


iPads are great, but they're just earthly treasures. That was a costly and difficult reminder for me. Don't base your life on any thing. Stuff is going to break... that's what stuff does. In everything we do we must base our lives on the Kingdom of God not our own. When God's done with His iPad he can throw it off a car. I trust Him. I also think it was a test to see how I would react. I sure hope I passed.

Keep this in mind this week. Stop building your kingdom and start building up God's kingdom. You never worry about the stuff you give away, you only worry about the stuff you keep. Let's start a movement to give it all away to God.

Finally, the iPad does turn on. I'm going to see if it can be fixed... I would like to get it back and be able to again use it to God's glory. Seriously.

Do you have any crazy stories of losing a valuable item?

UPDATE 2/2/12: I brought my iPad to L2 technologies here in Mt. Pleasant. They told me the iPad would cost about $500 to repair. So, basically it's totaled. That's a bummer.