Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Follow the Leader



But Ruth replied: 
Do not persuade me to leave you
or go back and not follow you.
For wherever you go, I will go,
and wherever you live, I will live;
your people will be my people,
and your God will be my God.
Ruth 1:16

The story of Ruth and Naomi started as a tragedy. Naomi's husband died, but she still had her sons. Those sons married the moabites Ruth and Orpah (Not to be confused with Oprah). A few years after those marriages Naomi's sons died. In that day the women had little hope of living without husbands. It was essential that both Ruth and Orpah married again as quickly as possible. Naomi urges her two daughter-in-laws to leave her and find new husbands.

Ruth, I assume, urged by the Holy Spirit and a love for her mother-in-law says that she will not. She did this at the risk of being a beggar for the rest of her life. She listened to the Holy Spirit in this life or death matter and made the illogical choice. Ruth's illogical choice became a victory in God's book even if it didn't make sense to everyone else. Ruth became the grandmother of King David, and it was through David's lineage that Christ came.

It is essential that we listen to what God is telling us to do. Sometimes it doesn't seem logical, sometimes it seems really stupid, but God sees the future and knows that our small obedience will lead to big victories. God is wanting to use those people who are ready, willing, and obedient.

I think I could keep writing about this verse, but I'll leave it here. If you have any input or other perspectives please leave them in the comments.