Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Rick Santorum, Iowa, and Underdogs Like Me

Rick Santorum Potential Republican Nominee

Some people love the political process but it makes many sick. Most people, I think, just put up with it. When the time comes to vote they'll step in that booth, get their button pushing finger limbered up, and push away. Many of them voting for candidates that they know nothing about.  I'm an active news reader and talk radio listener. I try to discern who it is I'll vote for by how closely they line up with my beliefs.

Last night, January 3, 2012, Iowa had their caucus. Mitt Romney won by eight votes. He edged out Ron Paul Newt Ginrich Rick Santorum but just barely. Who in the world is Rick Santorum? I remember seeing him on the stage at debates. He would barely get a chance to speak. He was a true underdog who surged at the right time. Almost every other Republican potential nominee has had a huge surge in the poles, but none of them were at the right time except Rick Santorum. One could say he is the Tim Tebow of the republican potential nominees.

There is a long road ahead, and we really don't know who will be the nominee for Republicans. At this point anything can still happen. What we should pay attention to is the narrative of the underdog.

Me and you are underdogs in a race that we're not capable of winning. We can try hard and show promise. We struggle and preserver, but we're underdogs that will never come back in the fourth quarter. One of my favorite songs of all time by one of my favorite bands is a song call Underdog by Audio Adrenaline.

I'm in this race to win a prize
The odds against me
The world has plans for my demise
What they don't see
Is that a winner is not judged by his small size
But by the substitute he picks to run the race
And mine's already won

The race of life has already been won. Jesus Christ took death and crushed it under His heel. Jesus picked us to be on His team, but we have to say yes if we're going to win. Christ takes an underdog like me and gives me victory.

Dueteronomy 20:3-4 says, ...In a few minutes you're going to do battle with your enemies. Don't waver in resolve. Don't fear. Don't hesitate. Don't panic. God, your God, is right there with you, fighting with you against your enemies, fighting to win.


Really it's unfair. If Christ is your leader and forgiver you've won no matter what happens. That means that when time runs out you'll come out the winner because you have more than a cheerleader. You have a teammate.