Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Immediate Obedience to God and How I Helped a Guy Seizing Because of it


Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Galatians 5:25

Last night at small group we talked about being immediately obedient to God. Something that I'm not always too good at. I like to think things over for a little too long, but sometimes, sometimes, I get it right. I can point to a few of these times in my life, but I quickly want to share a story that happened to me in the past week.

Allie, my wife, and I were supposed to pick up some new trashcans for the church at Walmart before Saturday night service. We forgot. Later that night, against everything I wanted, I drove over to Walmart again. That part took me about 2 minutes. I grabbed the cans and I was heading to checkout.

At this point it was about 10 PM and there were only 2 registers open. I had a choice: 10 items or less or the short line. A strange tugging seemed to pull to the longer line. While I was standing in line a couple of positions ahead of me was a 25 year old guy buying what I believe to be a sleeping bag. From out of no where I hear a crack sound and watch his knees fall out from under him. His debit card flew into the air and his neck had all the tention of a dead chicken's. His whole body landed with a thud and crescendoed with the knocking sound of his head bouncing off the hard linoleum.

He was slightly shaking on the floor and fluttering his eyelids. I believe he was having a seizure. He got up no more than 30 seconds later and acting like nothing was wrong. Seconds later everyone in line heard that same crashing sound of him falling on the credit card swiper. This time me and another man ran to him and locked our arms underneath and carried him to bench. I yelled out, "Someone please call 9-1-1!".

I watched the guys breathing and made sure he wasn't going to fall off the bench we laid him on. Soon I was on the phone with 9-1-1 talking him through some cognition tests. Within in maybe 3 minutes EMS was on the scene. I left him in much more capable hands.

The story ends there. I don't know what happened to the man, but hope maybe I can find out some day. I prayed for him while he sat on that Walmart bench. I really hope everything turned out fine.

I believe that God wanted me in that line. I was one of two men anywhere near close enough to help this guy in time. Could God have used someone else in Walmart? Sure, but because I was obedient to his voice I was able to make a difference in this guys life.

If we would learn to be immediately obedient to God we would be able to impact, help, and support people whom God has called us to.