Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Is Birth-Control Sin?



This should be a given but...
This article is my opinion. There are great people who believe different from me. You are free to disagree with me, and I'd like to hear your point of view.


There is a huge debate going on in our country about contraception and abortion. Everyone is missing the point. My biggest issue is that the government can't tell a religious organization to go against their beliefs. In this case it happens to be the Catholic church's rights, but I would do the same for Muslims. But that's not the topic of this blogpost. Is birth-control wrong? I'm going to give my short opinion and then encourage you to watch a very insightful video from the pastor of Bethlehem Baptist Church, John Piper.

Contraception is not a sin if it's not destroying life. I believe that life starts at conception. So if the means of contraception is destroying a fertilized egg then I think it's wrong. Birth control can happen many ways, and even the Catholic church has two approved forms of contraception. They are the rhythm method and abstinence.

The real question we need to ask ourselves is why are we not having children? Is it for selfish reasons, or is it for God's reasons? As long as the contraception is not destroying a fertilized egg then I believe it is every couple's personal decision how they are going to determine when they have kids. Some don't even try and I'm fine with that. The world needs couples like that. If you do practice contraception, as per the guidelines above, in my opinion, you are not in sin.

Here is the video:


Here are the scriptures John uses in the video. Please go to the passages and read more on your own.

Don't you see that children are God's best gift? the fruit of the womb his generous legacy? Psalm 127:3

Happy is the man who has filled his quiver with them [sons]. Such men will never be put to shame. Psalm 127:5

Then the Lord God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper as his complement." Genesis 2:18

I say to the unmarried and to widows: It is good for them if they remain as I am. 1 Corinthians 7:6

What do you think? Please give me your opinions in the comments below.

Ps> Do you know what we they call people who practice the Rhythm method of birth control? Parents.