Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Are you a Fan of Jesus?


In small group we've been going through a study called Not a Fan by Kyle Idleman. He asks the question, "Are you a fan or a follower of Christ?" Fans of Christ are cool with Jesus. They might even really like Jesus, but they are not fully devoted to following him. Kyle encourages us to be followers of Christ rather than fans.

I don't know if you know this about me, but I like NASCAR. I know, it's super redneck, but I can't help it. Racing is awesome. Anyway, I'm a Jeff Gordon fan and this past weekend I stood in the stands cheered for him. When he wrecked I wasn't happy, but I didn't rip my garments off my chest and scream to the heavens then proceed to wear a burlap sack and cover my head in ashes. I was upset, but I wasn't in deep mourning because Jeff came in last place.

Third Lap Salute 

BUT... there are other NASCAR fans followers.


The ones that hold their Buds to heaven to make a sacrifice to the god of intimidation. These same fans still hold three fingers up on the third lap of Daytona. I think they would literally follow this guy into the fires of Hell if that was possible. You know who I'm talking about. These guys have a god: Dale Earnhardt Sr. He was a great racer, but he was just a man, and he has been dead for eleven years. It's time to get over it, but they can't because they aren't just fans. I'd argue they are followers of Dale.

I know what you're thinking, "If that's what a follower of Christ is I'll pass." But I hope you can see my point. It's not the beer, it's the passion. It's not the third lap gesture, it's the ability to never forget. It's not the #3 shaved into their back hair, it's their willingness to do anything for Dale.


As redneck as all that seems, the truth is we are all followers of something. Examine yourself. Would you say you're fully devoted to Christ, or is He just a thing you do on the weekends? Does your life revolve around your savior, or do you struggle to try and fit him into your schedule? What would you give up for God? Would you do anything and go anywhere?

Are you a fan or a follower of Christ?

Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone wants to come with Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow Me. Matthew 16:24