Wednesday, November 23, 2011

10 Steps to Cook the Best Thanksgiving Turkey Ever


I like good turkey and I don't like bad turkey. I'm sure you feel the same way. Instead of a deep heavy post this Thanksgiving I'm going to tell you how to cook a REALLY killer turkey.

I'm passing this on to you with a couple of provisos I'd like you to understand. 1) My wife cooks the turkeys. She is Italian and a very skilled homemade cook. I'm blessed. I'm sure she was meant to marry a fatter guy who would take advantage of her cooking more, but she got me... 2) I believe what has come to be known as Allie's recipe is actually inspired from cooking scientist Alton Brown.

Before you follow any of these steps thaw the turkey thoroughly.

  1. Cook the turkey for the lowest hours suggested for your its weight.
  2. Take all the stuff out of the turkey, including the neck and do whatever you want with it.
  3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
  4. Drown turkey in your cooking oil of choice (Olive, corn, etc.). Even put the oil inside the turkey.
  5. Liberally sprinkle salt, pepper, and garlic powder on the turkey.
  6. Take sticks of margarine and flatten them with your hands. Blanket the butter over the turkey (Especially the breasts). Make sure to stick some on the legs too.
  7. Place it in the preheated oven.
  8. About 1/2 way through cooking the turkey loosely cover it with a sheet of aluminum foil, making sure to tuck the aluminum foil under the sides the turkey.
  9. Let it cook the rest of the time needed.
  10. Take it out of the oven and let sit uncut for 30 minutes. CUT IT RIGHT BEFORE SERVING so that it is still moist when you eat it.
There you have it. That is my wife's turkey and it's marvelous. In the comments tell me what you thought after cooking the turkey. Also, if you have any questions leave those there too. I'll ask my wife and try to get back to you quickly.