Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Old Habits Die Hard or How to Pay For a Mini-Van, Baby, & School



You can be sure that God will take care of everything you need, his generosity exceeding even yours in the glory that pours from Jesus. Our God and Father abounds in glory that just pours out into eternity. Yes. Philippians 4:19-20
This is going to be a more personal post than normal. Next week I should get back into my normal musings. I want to tell you guys about what's going on in my life right now... ya know, to keep you in the loop.

Allie is currently about 25 weeks pregnant. She and the baby are healthy. December 1 (or sometime around then) we should be welcoming a new baby boy into the world. So far our name for him is Levi Alexander Rhodes. Who knows that could change, but right now, that's what we're thinking.

A new kid means family changes. We recently purchased a new mini-van... yeah, you heard right. I made the joke on twitter...


It's a really nice Chrysler Town and Country my uncle hooked me up with. Allie and I had been praying about a new vehicle that could hold the whole family comfortably. God answered our prayer and He did it a whole lot cheaper than we were hoping. We're still holding steady with almost 2 years of no car debt!

Maybe you saw the silly picture at the top of this blog on Facebook and didn't catch the corresponding tweet:


Voice of the reader: "Are you working at Papa John's?"
Me: Duh.
VOTR: "Well, are you still working at Oceanside fulltime?"
Me: Yup.

But I also, as of August 20, 2012, started Seminary. I'm starting slow. I'm only taking one class this semester, and the plan is to take a full load in January. Seminary, as I found out, cost money. Who would have thought that? Yikes, savings account drained. I was determined to not go into any more debt for school. I made a commitment to my family and to the Lord I would cash flow school if and when I went back. Enter Papa John's. Other than organized crime, pizza delivery is the best hours to cash ratio I'm qualified for. The Lord has blessed all my hours at PJ's (that's what all the cool kids are calling it). I made more money in my first 3 days than I anticipated. God is good!

Just FYI, None of that money is going to buy a boat or lottery tickets. Everything above my tithe is going straight to our family's savings account.

God is our provider.

And now that you're caught up.

Question: What's is the craziest extra job you worked to make ends meet?