Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A Jimmie Rustled Is A Jimmie Saved


Recently a meme phrase was brought to my attention. I usually know these things, but this one slipped by. Do you want to know the phrase? I'll give it to you in it true meme form... a picture:

It derives from a 1950s phrase that means something has upset you

Well, that phrase has been going around in the circles where I hang. We joke and laugh about it all the time. It was in good fun until...

The other day I sent my sister a really evil text (To my credit I did not know it was so evil, but I digress). If you're wondering what it was, stop... She wouldn't want it revealed to all the universe. Anyway, as I found out later my particular text had her, "On the verge of tears." She had the whole house in an uproar. I can just imagine piercingly pitched screams and shrieks pounding around the house.

When I got a text back from her I was walking though Wal-Mart's bait and tackle section. Fate? I assume so, because my trickster bait was gobbled up so handily. I smirked. Truthfully it was a full-out smile. A full-out evil smile. Allie had to tell me to stop smiling like that because, "I looked evil."

I came clean and she calmed down. But the Jimmie Rustling was done. She swore she would get me back. She claimed, "We're camping together for three days next week :P." My payback came a little earlier than that. Today I woke up to this:

My car sealed with plastic wrap and this note was attached

She got me back, and I deserved it. The war will end here. I'm afraid if I escalate it anymore someone might really get hurt.

I'm sure you're wondering what spiritual lesson can be gleaned from this amusing tale. We all need our Jimmies Rustled from time to time. God has done it to me on multiple occasions. The last one happen a few weeks back. God was really dealing with me on a situation. I was under so much conviction that I had to take care of the problem right then and there.

I texted a friend, right in the middle of church, and got some stuff right. It never feels good when God rustles your Jimmies but it always feels better when you take care of the problem.

It is for your benefit that I go away, because if I don't go away the Counselor will not come to you. If I go, I will send Him to you. When He comes, He will convict the world about sin, righteousness, and judgment... John 16:7-8

One of the main actions of the Holy Spirit is to Rustle our Jimmies. When we're apart from God He gets us back on track. Don't ever ignore the Holy Spirit when He is convicting you. It's His job, and He is doing it for your good.