Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Cool Story Bro: The Insane Car Alternator Part 2


The car

Catch the foxes for us- the little foxes that ruin the vineyards- for our vineyards are in bloom. Song of Solomon 2:15

Previously on "Cool Story Bro" click here

It was a tiny plastic piece that connected my alternator to the rest of the Toyota's electrical system. Was it really one little piece causing all this trouble? At first I shrugged off Mr. Alberti's highly experienced opinion. But the more I thought about it the more I trusted his evaluation of the problem.

So, I borrowed Mr. Alberti's truck and me and the fam headed out to LKQ self service junk yard. I combed the imports section by looking inside every Toyota Corolla regardless of year. After much prayer and a lot of searching through hundreds of cars I came across the tiny piece that I needed. Strangely it was in a model several years newer than mine.

By this time my entire day off was used up. I had wasted it in the parking lot of an Advanced Auto. I was not happy about that, but what was I supposed to do? I didn't have a working vehicle.


I called a friend and church member who works on cars for a living and he helped me install this little plug. He had the right splicing tools to get the job done quick. Still, at this point I was still almost sure that the little plug wasn't going to truly fix my electrical problem.

The Suspect Part

He hooked it all up, I cranked the car, and it started right up. Not only did it start up, but the battery warning light was off!!!!

This little piece, seemingly insignificant, ruined my electrical system. I didn't have the expertise to realize that little part had so much power. If only I could have identified the problem earlier I probably wouldn't be writing this post right now. A little plug made my entire car a hunk of metal on wheels.

The Bible tells us in Song of Solomon that the little foxes can get into the garden and mess the whole crop up. My history books tell me that these little foxes were a common problem in ancient vineyards. They weren't large. They weren't even that scary in appearance. They were dangerous. People's livelihoods could be ruined by a pack of tiny foxes.

What is it in our lives that's messing everything up? It might not be big. It can be really, really (really), small. But it's making our lives immovable hunks of junk. Do you feel like you aren't able to move forward? Look at the little things.

The Bible says to, "Test yourselves to make sure you are solid in the faith. Don't drift along taking everything for granted. Give yourselves regular checkups. You need firsthand evidence, not mere hearsay, that Jesus Christ is in you. Test it out. If you fail the test, do something about it." (2 Cor 15:5)
Just like a car you need checkups. Today search yourself and see what's holding you up.