Tuesday, July 12, 2011

How Tiny Tower Changed My Life

Floors 10-23 of my Tiny Tower

Addiction is a problem, and I'm an addict. It's not the normal culprits like drugs, alcohol, or smoking. I'm addicted to a little game called Tiny Tower. You can play Tiny Tower on a number of Apple devices, but if you have an addictive personality you might want to stay away.

It's not much different from a multitude of other simulation games like The Sims, Simcity, Farmville, Fishville, Cityville, Villville (Ok, I made that last one up... I think). In Tiny Tower you are the owner of a sky scraper. This is your tower. Your tower starts off humbly with a lobby and an apartment place. You collect rent from people who move into your apartment. That rent is used to build up your tower with stores like a laundromat (Exciting), a comedy club where you serve up LOLs, and a coffee house. There isn't an end to the game. The tower could stretch as high as a thousand stories if you kept playing. All this sounds really compelling doesn't it? Yeah, I didn't think so either until I started playing.

Say hello to a Bitizen

The tower is inhabited by "Bitizens" who are tiny pixilated people. Each bitizen has a dream job, strengths, and weaknesses. You, as the tower manager place these people in jobs all over your tower. By far the most enjoyable part of the game is placing one of the bitizens in their dream job. When they are placed in their dream job their happy meter reads, and I quote, ":-D". Which makes me happy that they are happy.

This bitizen is happy!

This got me thinking about how God has a big plan for us. He has given us desires, talents, and dreams. He placed those in us before we were even born! In Jeremiah 1:5 God says, "Before I shaped you in the womb, I knew all about you. Before you saw the light of day, I had holy plans for you..."  He gave us those dreams to glorify Him.

We all have a choice: How will we use what He has given us? It's our selfish desires verses His heavenly desires. When we act selfishly our life will never be fulfilling, death will be scary, and happiness will be out of reach.

God gets joy out of placing us in the jobs where we excel. He wants nothing but the best for everything He owns. Isaiah 43:1 tells us that we are owned by God. "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; you are Mine." Sometimes life gets tough, but we have to look forward to our future lives in Heaven. There may be temporary suffering, but as James says, this life is just a, "Vapor." (James 4:14)

We should be encouraged in two ways, 1) suffering is temporary and 2) we have to get moving because life is short. It's essential that we grab on to God's plan today! Remember that you are at Oceanside for a reason. God has made you a vital part of this church. Will you choose to get to work where God is moving. God doesn't want you in a job that you hate. He wants you exactly where you fit best.

A closer view

In encourage you to look at your spiritual gifts and your God-given talents. See where God wants you to be. There is a perfect place for you. Now, I have to get back to my tower. The Video Rental Store needs to restock New Arrivals.